Friday, October 3, 2014

Author Visit - Rob Buyea

Rob Buyea visited our grade 4 and 5 students today.  Thank you to Sarah Wolf and the Spaulding Educational Fund for organizing and sponsoring this visit.  Rob wrote Because of Mr. Terupt and Mr. Terupt Falls Again.


About Rob Buyea:
While teaching elementary school I soon realized that in order to teach reading and writing, I needed to be a reader and writer first.  I began reading all sorts of wonderful books.  Then I began writing. 
First, I wrote about our math classroom, the sorts of activities we were doing and problems we were investigating.  Then I began writing stories.  My students' stories were so impressive, I was inspired to write my own.  In the beginning, I wrote short ones, nothing too serious.  But then one afternoon I was struck by an idea that really excited me.  Soon after that I found a group of amazing writers to meet with.  I listened to them, and eventually shared my work.  Looking back, my writing was not very strong, but they liked my story, and they encouraged me to continue.  And so I did.  I made a large amount of progress on that manuscript before Mr. Terupt and his students told me to write about them first.  I hope to return to that original story one day. 
Pay attention to the world around you, stories are everywhere.  And if you have a story, you have something to write about. 

















Rob talked to the students about his writing process and then provided them with an opportunity to try some strategies while he checked in with them.  What a GREAT opportunity for our students!!